Sunday, December 22, 2013

A Little Family Tradition

Ok, again not sewing related, but I just wanted to share a bit of a family tradition. Sad but true, we don't set out cookies and milk for Santa, we do however leave him a piece sour cream coffee cake and a glass of eggnog. My brother, sister and I knew it was Christmas when we could smell that cake in the oven. The best part was getting to eat cake for breakfast Christmas morining.

Many years later, when I had young kids of my own, my mother insisted she come for a short visit Christmas Eve. She handed me a package, it was Santa's Brioche with a card and the secret family recipe.



Today my house is filled with the smell of sugar and cinnamon. Its almost Christmas and my son, 17 year old Sebastien, will be asking my for a piece when he walks through the door. And yes I will be eating it for breakfast Christmas morning with my four kids.

It would be such a secret any more, but if you'd like to make your own...

* Cream together 1 1/4 cups of sugar and 1/2 lb of butter

*Add-
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 pint sour cream

*in a small bowl combine
1 cup finely chopped nuts
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup white sugar

Put half of the batter in a greased bundt cake pan. Sprinkle with half of the mixture. Add rest of the batter, then top with the rest of the nut mixture. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 1 hour.



This is my tradition, please do leave me a comment on your traditions, I would love to read them.
Wishing you and your family a very Happy Holiday Season. xx

3 comments: