Friday, December 20, 2013

Classic Cookie Mix for Gift Giving

I was looking through a children's cookbook to find some quick and easy treats to make for Christmas. I figure children's book = easy and fast. Instead I found an easy gift to give for neighbors and teachers. Ok, not so original, I know its been done before but I've never done this before. Cookie mix in a mason jar. Under 15 minutes I had made two jars, and this with JubeJube and Amelia asking me for snaks and their favorite show, and me telling them no, its not TV time.




Just incase you need a last minute hostess gift here is the recipe that I got from "Chock Full of Chocolate" by Elizabeth MacLeod. 

The jar is filled with;
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup each of brown sugar and white sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans (I used walnuts and almonds)

Sift first 3 ingredients together. You can layer the ingredients how ever you like. I mixed my white and brown sugar together. Each layer needs to be packed firmly.

Don't forget to print out the instructions on how to prepare the cookies.

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
  2. Pour cookie mix into large bowl and blend together. Add 3/4 cuplof soft butter, 1 egg, and 1 tsp. vanilla. Mix well
  3. Sahpe batter into 1 inch balls and arrange about 1.5 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
  4. Bake 10-12 minites, until slightly firm. Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack. 
This mixture can be stored at room temperature for up to 1 month.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.





The longest part of this project was actually printing out the cards with the instructions on how to prepare the mixture, gluing them to cardstock and attaching the tag with raffia ribbon to the jar. 



No comments:

Post a Comment