Sunday, June 22, 2014

#WhyISew


For those who didn't know, I've been sewing for years! I say 20+ because I know I've owned my sewing machine for that long. This passion didn't start overnight, just walk into a store, buy a machine and pick up a liking for sewing.


When I was a toddler, my aunt, also my sewing mentor, would take me fabric shopping to make my clothes. I must have been the only toddler excited to be in a fabric store. I already knew what I wanted and my aunt could not sway me to change my mind. I had chosen pretty floral fabrics, tiny little flowers in dark colors and dress patterns with pinafores. The end result looked spectacular on me! Even back then I had a vintage style.

When I was a little older I learned a lot about hand sewing making clothes for my Barbies. My aunt had pruchased a couple of paper patterns to make Barbie and G.I. Joe clothes (because my brother needed a karate suit for his G.I. Joe, that he made by hand). I would say that was a perfect jumping off point, this helped me learn about grainlines and fabric placement, and patience.

I got my first sewing machine one Christmas, I was about 6 and the machine was a beautiful purple. I would shop for fabrics in my Grandmother's quilting stash. I remember that little room was wall to wall fabrics. I would make shoe bags for my friends.

The fun really began when I had my son, Sebas, almost 18 years ago. Store bought bibs, blankets, and bedding just didn't cut it in my books. They would shrink funny and the blankets were just too small, I decided I needed to make my own. Just about every article of clothing he wore was made by me including footed PJ's and diaper shirts. I love that he still lets me make his PJ pants today. Sabrina, my oldest daughter, lets me make clothes for her too. She knows how much work goes into it, and appreciates it.

My two babies, Julia (AKA JubeJube) and Amelia, are now able to choose their fabrics and decide on what buttons should be on the garment, and they flat out won't wear it if they haven't approved the fabric selection. I say they make pretty good selections too.






This is why I sew: to make things the way I want them, to make clothes that fit right, to make things pretty, to learn, to have fun, to get my children involved. I don't think there's a day that goes buy that I don't sit at my sewing machine or cut out fabric for a garment to be sewn.




6.22.14 | Sewing Mama RaeAnna | Simple Simon and Co. |
6.23.14 | Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy | Nimble Phish | Sprouting Jube Jube | Paisley Roots | Made For Mermaids | Glitter and Wit | Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop | Rae Gun Ramblings |
6.24.14 | Shaffer Sisters | Sew Like My Mom | Bebe Lambs | EYMM |
6.25.14 | The Sewing Geek | GYCT | Lulu and Celeste |
6.26.14 | Ruby and Jack Patterns | Muse of the Morning | Fishsticks Designs | Little Kids Grow |
6.27.14 | Make it Handmade | Rebel and Malice | Ali Cat & Co. |




Share your sewing experience here...we'd love to hear from you!

Until next time, xx.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful story, Deb. :) Thank you sew much for sharing it with all of us. <3

    ReplyDelete