Sunday, January 17, 2016

Fun Wardrobe Basics: Undies

I've been contemplating sewing up undies for the girls for some time now, but then I get to the big box store, pick out a bunch that seem reasonably priced, buy them thinking I've saved myself time and energy, wash them a couple of times....and they fall apart! Yup, not really the way I want to spend money. 

Instead, this time, got cute fabrics from my stash, had the girls choose their favorites and something a lot more fun than boring big box store basics came out of it. 



The pattern is from Little Kiwi's Closet (I got the pattern for free for the purpose of this review, but all opinions are my own). The fabrics are all from my stash, and so much fun to mix and match to create colorful undies for Amelia and JubeJube. I made sure that the main part was 100% cotton jersey knit and that the bindings where a cotton lycra blend for good recovery after being stretched out.



The first thing I did was read all the instructions...They're very complete, clear and easy to follow with step-by-step photos included in the tutorial. I measured the girls, and lucky for me, they have the same meaurement around the hip area. I cut out the recommended size according to the chart...and we had a winner! The fit was perfect with full bum coverage. The girls flat out refused to be photographed in their undies so you'll have to take my word for it. I've been telling them not to show off their undies and well I guess they got it, now if only they would listen to me when tell them to clean up their toys.



The size range for this pattern is 12 months to about 13 years old, but again use the measurement chart and you really can't go wrong to find a good fit for your child. Also included in the pattern is doll size undies. I have a feeling that the girls will be asking me to make some dolly wardrobe essentials to match their own.

My favorite pair, and Amelia's favorites too, are the ones I played around with fabric placement and got the penguin at center front.



I'll be reviewing wardrobe essentials all week. Come back to see what other fun wardrobe basics you'll have fun making!


Until next time, xx

4 comments:

  1. love them, great job. my granddaughter is about to graduate to big girl panties soon and it would be fun to make her some like these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love them, great job. my granddaughter is about to graduate to big girl panties soon and it would be fun to make her some like these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all so cute. I really need to stitch up some undies for my girls! I agree with your box store undies.. ugh! So frustrating to buy and then feel like they are falling apart shortly after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its really worth the effort and the girls will love the extra little details you put into them!

      Delete